Philips PerfectCare Expert Steam generator iron GC9231/02 Up to 6.5 bar pressure 310 g steam boost Carry lock 1.5 l detachable water tank with OptimalTEMP technology is rated
4.1 out of
Rated 1 out of
Water from sole plateAfter working correctly for a few months water started to come out of the sole plate the item was returned for repair Service reference PSO-160679 after repair the iron worked for 2 ironing sessions then the same problem occurred making the iron useless when used on steam. Now it has to be returned for a second time and I have lost the use of an iron.
Date published: 2016-11-01
Rated 3 out of
Great Concept....Inferior PartsThis is a brilliant iron, but is made with parts that, in our case, are totally inferior. The concept is brilliant...no heat settings, just steam...go from denim to silk without a thought. BUT....it goes wrong. It does have a 2 year warranty, but you'd expect a two hundred and fifty pound iron to last many more years than that. The first one we had, was rejected by us after being returned 3 times. Fair dos to Philips, they replaced it with a new one, with another 2 year warranty, but immediately the trigger stuck on an occasional basis when ironing. Lived with this for over a year (just had to be careful with the jet of steam that would suddenly eject) but returned for repair when something major failed. So off to the Repair Centre and major problem sorted, but even though reported, the trigger still sticks. Can't be bothered to pack it all up and be without the iron again, so will live with this again. When it's out of warranty, I'll have a look myself. But a brilliant iron. Just a great shame that our two have had a number of different parts fail.
Date published: 2015-07-31
Rated 5 out of
Great Product!This is my second Philips Steam Generator. The other one lasted for years. I simply love it! The iron heats up quickly and is ready to use within 2 minutes. Normally I can finish the whole basket before having to fill up the water tank. It even indicates when it needs to be descaled! In short: time-saving, quality product and totally worth the money!
Date published: 2015-10-09
Rated 5 out of
Best iron I have ownedThis is probably the best iron I have ever owned. Its simple to use, contains a massive water tank which lasts for a good while.
I used to own a conventional steam iron before this, how I wished I had bought this earlier. Shirts and trousers iron seamlessly with little effort. Creases seem to disappear instantly.
The best bit about this iron is it doesn't leave any shiny marks on clothes that normal irons do especially on dark fabrics.
Date published: 2013-12-02
Rated 5 out of
Best Steam Generator I've ownedI rarely do reviews; however, having done a lot of research before buying my 4th Steam generator, I feel that my experience might be useful to those considering this purchase. A steam generator is more than a steam iron; it’s the steam pressure that relaxes the fibres in your garments making ironer quicker and easier. If it’s difficult to understand, think of the pressure that comes out of your garden hose pipe, it isn’t that strong, but connect a pressure washer to your outside tap and what a difference! It’s the pressure that does the job!
In my research I established that Philips was the lead in Optimal Temperature Technology and others are following.
OK firstly, you get what you pay for. This is an expensive product, but it is GOOD! Previously I have had 3 of a Competitors brand and they were good. However living in a hard water area, we are prone to getting a lot of scale build up that frequently deposited on my ironing although I frequently did the de-calc within the recommended timescale. I thought I'd give Phillips a try. These appliances do not seem to last long for the money, on average mine have previously lasted around 2 years. With this model, I am going to empty the water tank and the generator after every use and frequently rinse the boiler with clean water and empty before storing to try and minimise the problem. The Philips models have a 2 year guarantee.
I am pretty fussy about my ironing so it hasn’t cut my ironing time in half as some people have found and I cannot iron a shirt in 1 minute as someone else claimed to. It has however reduced the time I spend on it; and being honest, I do not have to iron both sides of everything now, (some things yes, but that may be me being pedantic). To give an indication, my first use and I was getting used to the product, on one tank of water, I turbo steamed 3 gents suits and 4 pairs of trousers. I then used the eco mode and ironed 1 trousers, 2 heavy trousers, 2 shorts, 10 t-shirts, 7 shirts, 5 long sleeve tops and 2 sweatshirts.
This model ticked most of the boxes for me, so here are the Pro’s:
• 2 year guarantee
• Auto-shut off after 10 minutes non use and I have tested it
• Easy to use – power on/ Eco mode / off button, de-calc warning light, water refill warning light
• Up to 6 bar pressure – covers everything for ironing and steaming
• Heat up time 2 minutes
• Detachable 1.5 litre water tank and easy to fill, takes normal tap water. Water level clearly visible
• Non-stop ironing – when more water needed, just remove the tank, fill and replace and away you go, no waiting
• Easy to de-calc
• Steamglide soleplate – not as illustrated on Philips website or the packaging, fewer holes, but not a problem
• Optimal Temperature Technology – no temperature to set, you can iron from linen to silk to wool – no problem, no burning or scorching of fabric – no longer necessary to sort your laundry before ironing! Safe to leave iron resting on soleplate on ironing board, although this model will stand on its heel (not all models will)
• For storage (and security) iron can be locked to base unit and carried by iron handle
• Vertical Steaming is the best I have experienced. Great for steaming husbands suits in no time.
• Turbo boost function - is great on thick cotton shirts
• Eco mode – uses less power (less steam produced) is adequate for most ironing with great results
• Continuous steam 120g/min
• Steam Boost 310g
• Power 2400w
• Power cord length 1.8m, hose length 1.7m
• Storage for mains lead and hose
• Weight of iron 1.2kg
• Weight of iron & base 5 kg
Now for the cons:
• Top of handle would benefit from being slightly cushioned, but this isn’t a major problem
• Storage for lead and hose is a bit tight, but do-able
• Good soleplate, but occasionally, I notice a bit of drag...I am used to ultraglide which is highly polished – so that’s my preference
If you choose this model you shouldn’t be disappointed. Would I recommend it? Definitely!
Date published: 2015-06-13
Rated 5 out of
ironing is very simple and short durationWith Philips PerfectCare Expert Pressurised steam generator ironing is very simple and short duration
Date published: 2014-01-22
Rated 5 out of
exceptional productI have had some irons in my time but this magnificent iron takes ironing to a whole new level.
Philips Green Products can reduce costs, energy consumption and CO2 emissions. How? They offer a significant environmental improvement in one or more of the Philips Green Focal Areas — Energy efficiency, Packaging, Hazardous substances, Weight, Recycling and disposal and Lifetime reliability.
Love it or hate it, we want you to rate it!
Write a review and help other people make the right choice for them!