Red Cabbage | Philips Chef Recipes
A bittersweet flavor with a rich and extremely moreish taste.
Servings: 6 persons, Preparation time: 20 minutes, Cooking Time: 68 minutes
- Tablespoon olive oil
- 250 grams of smoked streaky bacon, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon bashed fennel seeds
- 1 onion peeled and sliced
- 2 apples peeled and chopped
- 1 kilogram red cabbage, chopped into chunks
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 150 millilitre balsamic vinegar
- 50 grams of butter
- A handful of chopped parsley leaves
- Preheat the HomeCooker for 3 minutes at 175°C.
- Pour the oil into the pan and add the bacon and fennel seeds.
- Set the timer to 3 minutes at 175°C.
- When time's up, add the onion and continue to cook (lid on) for 5 minutes at 175°C until golden and sticky.
- Add the apple, followed by the chopped cabbage, salt and pepper, and the vinegar.
- Put the lid back on and continue to cook on 110°C at 60 minutes.
- You'll end up with a gorgeously sticky-sweet cabbage dish that you'll want to eat immediately, straight out of the pan! Or, if you can wait long enough, scoop it into a serving dish, pop the butter on top and sprinkle over the parsley.
- Chef’s tip: Another way of cooking red cabbage is to stir-fry it. Simply add 1 tbsp olive oil into the HomeCooker. Then add your cabbage and other veg and stir-fry for 6 to 10 minutes at 250°C until the leaves are crisp. This is a great way of locking in all that nutritional value without cooking it out.