Butternut squash lasagna recipe
If you’re looking for an easy no meat lasagna recipe, look no further than a butternut squash lasagna. This tasty veggie makes a great meat substitute, and its vibrant colour will give your dish a visual ‘wow’ factor.
- One large butternut squash (chopped into cubes)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 75g mushrooms
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (chopped)
- 23g butter
- 3 tbsp flour (more if required)
- 1.1L of milk
- 90g parmesan cheese (grated)
- 500g lasagna sheets
To make your butternut squash lasagna vegan, swap the butter and parmesan for a vegan or dairy-free alternative, and use almond milk.
- Add the oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, thyme and butternut squash in a saucepan and season to taste.
- Simmer on a low heat for 20-30 minutes until the veggie is tender.
- Now make the sauce. First, melt the butter slowly and adding the flour spoonful by spoonful until a dough is formed. Cook this for around 2 minutes on low and then gradually add the milk while gently whisking.
- Once cooked, layer the vegetable mix, béchamel sauce, and pasta sheets in your dish until reaching the top.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and bake at 200°C for 45 minutes or until golden brown.